Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sorry, ladies… Robert’s off the market!




I didn’t really plan on proposing to Amy in Costa Rica. Certainly, I’d thought about it. But in the final weeks before the trip, work and life were so crazy that I’d really didn’t have time to plan anything.

But the drama with Amy’s jellyfish attack really rattled me. What if she had been seriously injured and a family member needed to be around to make decisions? I wouldn’t have been legally able to make those calls.

It was more than that, though. Seeing her writhe in such agony on the beach chair, tore at me, really driving home how much I love her. At that moment, the worst of thoughts crept to the edges of my consciousness. What if the bite was from some poisonous, deadly creature. What if I was going to lose her? I can barely think about it now.

After those moments, as Amy slowly felt better on Monday, all doubt fell away from me. There was no point in waiting any longer.

So, we nestled back at our quiet outdoor restaurant to watch the Red Wings game 3. The restaurant's deck sits high on a hill overlooking the ocean. All around you can hear the chirping of the small squirrel monkeys. Our traveling buddies Mike and Jan were off celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary at a special dinner.

We sipped margaritas and watch her beloved Red Wings take the lead. I barely watched the game, pondering what to say. I knew I was going to ask her. This was our moment.

So, between the first and second periods, I said:

“I think we should get married.”

She looked at me skeptically.

So I said it again.

She blankly stared at me.

So, I slowly got down on one knee beside her and held her hands, and quietly asked her to marry me.

I think she finally believed me this time. She cried, I cried, and she said yes.

Still, I think it took the entire second period to convince her I was completely serious.

Now, girls, I know I’m going to get some grief from you about this but I had no ring. Yup, no ring. As always, I was woefully unprepared.

Amy has always insisted she wanted to be married using her grandmother’s ring, a classy, simple ring that she keeps in a box above her dresser. There’s no way I could have snatched it without Amy noticing. Her brain notices everything.

So, I had no ring. But I told her I would get her whatever she wants when we get back home (and finish paying off THIS vacation.)

Amy insists she just wants a ring enhancer. I have no idea what that is. I’m sure I’ll find out.

We have no plans yet about a wedding. That’s for another time. Amy’s always insisted on beach destination wedding.

Maybe, Costa Rica?

8 comments:

Morgan said...

Simply wonderful.

Thank you for sharing, guys!

I teared up.

Bison1997 said...

Congratulations!

Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

-- Marcel

Kristen said...

Awww. I think everyone will forgive you for not having a ring. :) Congrats you two!

-Sharilyn said...

Having witnessed Amy's boy magnetism first-hand, I think they're the ones who are going to be disappointed! (Sorry, Robert!) Congratulations, you two!

TCompton said...

Great story Robert. It's amazing at how much you can cry when you're overflowing with happy emotions isn't it? That's such great news.

Dorsey said...

Congrats, you two! Way to go.

cfuhrmans said...

Our little boy is all grown up, sniff sniff. I'm so happy for you two! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Very fitting that it was done during a wings game while you were traveling to watch soccer. I am so happy for you guys and look forward to this weekend!

(Sorry the game sucked)