Saturday, July 5, 2008

Red, white and blue

(Originally published June 11, 2006)

atthegame.jpg

In the middle of December, three crazy Americans (me, Amy and Ron Recinto) huddled around the small TV on the Free Press newsdesk on a Friday afternoon. Everyone who passed by wondered what had us so engrossed? Had some huge, breaking news occurred? No, we told them: We are watching the World Cup draw. They shook their heads and walked away.

When the U.S. was drawn into Group E, that was the first I’d ever heard of the German city of Gelsenkirchen, the site of the American’s first game against the Czech Republic. Since then, we’ve thought of little else. It seemed like June 12 would never come.

Tomorrow, we’ll board a train for Gelsenkirchen wearing our red jerseys and our red, white and blue scarves. A flag will be wrapped around me like a cape. Amy’s even agreed to let me paint my face!

I’m so nervous. I have no idea what our chances are tomorrow. Amy, of course, is certain we will win. For those of you in the States, the game is on at noon Eastern on ESPN2. Don’t miss it.

Last night, we went to our first live game: Portugal and Angola. Our seats were INCREDIBLE. We were in midfield, TWO ROWS from the pitch. Amy could see the dimples on her boyfriend Cristiano Ronaldo. At one point in the second half, a ball flew off a Portugal player and shot right at me. I leaped into the air and grabbed it. Of course, you have to give it throw it back to the ball boy… I wonder if I just could have kept it…

The Angola fans were having one huge party in the stands. It almost sounded like they brought a whole band with them. Even thought they were outnumbered, they certainly out-shouted the Portuguese who seemed more nervous than excited.

The police presence at the game was far less than I was expecting. But it proved unnecessary. The fans were incredible well behaved – certainly better behaved than Lions fans. We were thoroughly searched by security both as we approached the stadium and when we entered.

When getting drinks at events in Germany, you basically rent your glass. The give you a plastic cup which they charged you one euro for in addition to the beverage. You can bring the glass back and they’ll give you back your euro. It keeps down the littering, I guess.

Everyone: We are loving the comments. It makes us feel like you are all here with us.

Go USA!

angolafans.jpg

No comments: