Saturday, July 5, 2008

Soccer-loving Americans

(Originally published June 10, 2006)


PricelessFinally hooked up with our D.C. soccer friends last night. Met in the public square that was showing the England game. And we had our photo taken with some Brits who wanted to remember the crazy soccer-loving Americans they had just met.

Cologne is filled with college kids and has a very cosmopolitan feel. We absolutely love it here. Went to the university-area of Cologne last night to watch the Argentina/Ivory Coast game. Drinks were super cheap so we will be going there again. Robert had way too many Jack and Cokes. Soccer-loving, heavy-drinking Americans seemed a novelty there.

He is feeling it this morning. I had to go to breakfast alone. Thought of my sister when I was sitting in the restaurant facing the lovely courtyard eating my breakfast of brot met eggs, tomatoes and mayonnaise. Reminds me of Holland. I sure hope I get to visit this trip.
Clonts, you would love the coffee. Very strong and very yummy. I find myself craving it (and the German beer, of course) every day. Maybe it is just the cream, but things taste better in Europe.

We are walking like crazy. Good thing I brought some sensible shoes. God I am old, sounding like an old lady wearing her Naturalizers. And the weather is much warmer than we expected. We are burning through the clothes and will have to do laundry sooner than expected. This also calls for shopping, I think.

Days seem so much slower here and we are enjoying every minute. Life is good.

P.S. Anderson, Robert and I are so happy you have embraced soccer and are enjoying the tournament as much as we are. Glad the Oilers won one; if you beat the Wings, you better go all the way.

No comments: